Thursday, August 5, 2010

Washing Dishes

Our house runs on a central water system, which means we have a well at the back of the house from which water is pumped every day. We have no running water, so we have a big bucket of water where we keep any water that will be used for cooking.

When I was lazy at home, it was always possible to just throw the dishes in the dish washer. Here you can leave it for later, allow the ants to attack, maybe the rats, then you get to do it yourself later. Our kitchen sink consists of 2 plastic buckets filled with water. You “rinse” your plate in the first bucket, soap and wash the plate with a sponge, then rinse again in the first bucket, then rinse one last time in the second bucket. All the dishes are washed using the same water. It was a little hard to stomach at first, but I decided to take the words of one of my friends and trust that “the germs will make me healthier”. I’m not a scientist (and neither is she) but it sounds okay to me. If you know better, don’t correct me…ignorance is bliss.

1 comment:

  1. In the words of Governor Schwartzenegger, "What doesn't kill me, makes me stronger." Okay, he was in character as Conan the Barbarian at the time, but the point is actually valid. After a certain number of battles, your immune system gets more skilled at fighting off various organisms. Hang in there!

    Kevin Wade (Erika's dad)

    ReplyDelete